Common AC Problems: Why Is My AC Running Constantly?
Summertime is the best time of year, right? Well, unless your AC is running constantly and making your home unbearable. If this is happening to you, don’t worry – you’re not alone. Many people find themselves struggling with an AC that just won’t turn off. In this article, we will discuss the 7 possible causes of this problem and how to fix it!
1. If the thermostat in your home is set too low, then this could be one of the reasons why your air conditioner is always running. If you have your thermostat set lower than the temperature outside, your air conditioner will run continuously in an effort to bring the inside temperature down to match the outside temperature.
Fix: To fix this issue, simply raise the temperature on your thermostat until it reaches a comfortable level.
2. One more possibility for why the air conditioner is always running is that the unit is inadequate for the size of the room it is attempting to cool. If your air conditioning unit is too small to adequately cool your home, it will have to put in extra hours of work, which will result in higher energy bills and continuous use.
Fix: The solution in this case is to install a larger AC unit that can more effectively cool your home.
3. The constant operation of your air conditioner may also be caused by ductwork that has leaks. If there are leaks in your ductwork, the cool air that is supposed to reach your living space will be lost before it even has a chance to get there. This results in your air conditioner having to run continuously because it has to work harder to maintain the temperature you want it at.
Fix: To fix this issue, you will need to have your ductwork repaired or replaced.
4. A dirty air filter is another factor that might be causing your air conditioner to run constantly. If your air filter is dirty, it will restrict airflow, which will make it more difficult for your air conditioning unit to circulate cool air. As a consequence of this, your air conditioning unit needs to exert a greater amount of effort in order to maintain the temperature you want it to be at, which results in continuous operation.
Fix: To fix this issue, simply replace the air filter with a clean one.
5. A dirty evaporator coil is yet another potential explanation for why your air conditioner is always running. The evaporator coil is the component of your HVAC system that is accountable for drawing heat from the air in your home. If the coil is dirty, it will be less effective at absorbing heat, which will cause your air conditioning unit to work harder to maintain the temperature you want it to be at.
Fix: To fix this issue, you will need to have your evaporator coil cleaned.
6. A leak in the refrigerant system may also cause your air conditioner to run continuously. If your air conditioning unit is leaking refrigerant, it will not be able to cool your home as efficiently as it should. As a consequence of this, your air conditioning unit will have to exert a greater amount of effort in order to keep the room at the desired temperature, which will result in continuous operation.
Fix: To fix this issue, you will need to have your AC unit serviced by a professional.
7. Last but not least, a lack of adequate insulation in your house can force your air conditioner to work overtime. If heat from the outside can get inside your home, it will be more difficult for your air conditioning unit to maintain the temperature you want it to be at. As a consequence of this, the air conditioning unit in your home will have to put in more effort to cool the space, which will result in its continuous use.
Fix: To fix this issue, you will need to have your home properly insulated.
If your AC unit is running constantly, there could be several reasons why. By troubleshooting the issue and taking the appropriate steps to fix it, you can get your AC unit back up and running efficiently.
So, there you have it! Seven possible causes of your AC running constantly and how to fix them. Of course, this is not an exhaustive list – if you’re still experiencing problems with your AC unit, it’s best to call in a professional for assistance. But hopefully, armed with this information, you can take some steps towards getting your cool air back and restoring peace and tranquility to your home.
Do You Need an HVAC Installer You Can Trust?
Superior Mechanical Services, Inc. began in 1948 as a family-owned business with a vision to provide value-minded service with a down-to-earth approach to customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. As the premier Commercial and Residential HVAC Service provider for Livermore, Dublin, and Pleasanton, Superior Mechanical can do it all, from heating and air conditioning services to boiler services, to plumbing services. Our technicians are certified professionals who will ensure every part of your project is done right using a careful checklist to guide and test each step. At the end of your appointment, we’ll show you how to get the most out of your new system and give you tips on maintenance so it lasts for years to come. Contact us today for amazing service tomorrow!