Common AC Problems: Why Is There Ice Around The AC Coil?
You’ve reached the hottest part of summer and are ready for a break from the sweltering weather. You switch on your air conditioning unit, but rather than feeling cool air blowing through your vents, you notice that ice is beginning to form around the AC coil. What could possibly be the root of this issue? In this article, we will go over some common issues with air conditioners and the factors that contribute to them. In addition to that, we will offer advice on how to fix them!
- If the air filter is dirty, then the ice that forms on the AC coil may be because of that. If the air filter is dirty, it may restrict airflow, which may result in the evaporator coils freezing over because they are too cold. Simply installing a new air filter in place of the old one that’s clogged will fix the issue.
- Leaks in the ductwork are another common reason why an AC coil will become iced over. In the event that there are holes or cracks in the ductwork, the cool air may not be able to make it to the coils in time. This can result in the coils becoming too cold and icing over completely. To resolve this issue, you will need to have a qualified technician repair any leaks in the ductwork that may have developed.
- A problem with the amount of refrigerant in the air conditioner is the third typical reason for an iced-over air conditioning coil. When the amount of refrigerant in the system is insufficient, the evaporator coils can get too cold and ice over as a result. In order to resolve this issue, you will need to call a technician to perform maintenance on your air conditioner.
- A malfunctioning thermostat is the fourth common cause of an iced-over air conditioning coil. If the thermostat is not functioning correctly, it may cause the evaporator coils to become too cold and ice over. This may result in a breakdown of the cooling system. In order to resolve this issue, you will need to call a technician to perform maintenance on your air conditioner.
- Improper maintenance is the fifth most common factor that contributes to an iced-over AC coil. If you don’t properly maintain your air conditioner, it can cause the evaporator coils to get too cold and ice over. This can cause your air conditioner to stop working properly. In order to resolve this issue, you will need to call a technician to perform maintenance on your air conditioner.
- A clogged drain line is the sixth most common cause of an iced-over air conditioning coil. If the drain line gets clogged up, then there will be an accumulation of moisture on the coils, which will cause them to freeze over. In order to resolve this issue, you will need to call a technician to perform maintenance on your air conditioner.
- The fan in the air conditioner may be malfunctioning, which is the seventh most common cause of an iced-over AC coil. In the event that the fan is not operating as it should, this could result in the evaporator coils freezing over due to the extreme cold. In order to resolve this issue, you will need to call a technician to perform maintenance on your air conditioner.
Do not be hesitant to seek the assistance of a trained professional if you are experiencing difficulties with the coil of your air conditioner becoming iced over. They will be able to diagnose the issue and suggest the most effective course of action to take moving forward.
If you’re still having problems with your AC unit, it may be time to call in the professionals. But before you do, make sure you know what the problem is. Hopefully, this article has helped you understand a little more about why your AC isn’t working and how to fix it. Stay cool!
Do You Need an HVAC Installer You Can Trust?
Superior Mechanical Services, Inc. began in 1948 as a family-owned business with a vision to provide value-minded service with a down-to-earth approach to customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. As the premier Commercial and Residential HVAC Service provider for Livermore, Dublin, and Pleasanton, Superior Mechanical can do it all, from heating and air conditioning services to boiler services, to plumbing services. Our technicians are certified professionals who will ensure every part of your project is done right using a careful checklist to guide and test each step. At the end of your appointment, we’ll show you how to get the most out of your new system and give you tips on maintenance so it lasts for years to come. Contact us today for amazing service tomorrow!