If you live in an apartment or own a house, the great equalizer is hot weather. Everyone is concerned about whether the air conditioning system will need to be repaired or replaced.
Although nothing lasts forever, losing the air conditioning is one of the most crippling home system failures. If you think your air conditioner is on its last legs, look for these telltale signs that it’s time to replace it.
- R-22 Freon is used in your air conditioner – On January 1, 2020, the federal government announced that Freon production will be phased out. This famous HCFC-22 (R-22) refrigerant can still be used in your air conditioning system, but it is very expensive. This Freon cost, as well as the cost of repairs, can assist you in making your decision. If your air conditioner uses Freon, you’ll need to replace it at some point to turn to the new R410A refrigerant.
- Moisture and leakage around the unit – Although condensation around an air conditioner is common, excessive leakage may indicate a much more serious issue. If you see large pools of water around your AC unit or have a refrigerant leak, you might have a serious problem that needs to be fixed right away. Excessive water leakage can damage floors or furniture, and it can even lead to mold formation, posing a health risk to you and your family.
- Airflow is restricted and there is a lack of cool air – This is perhaps the most noticeable indication that your air conditioner is malfunctioning. If the air does not come out cold after a few minutes after turning on the machine, it is most likely not working properly. Clogs in your piping/ductwork, which block airflow and do not resolve on their own, may also be the cause of the problem. A lack of airflow, regardless of the source, is a sure sign that you have a problem that needs to be addressed.
- Multiple Expensive Repairs – When you’re faced with a costly air conditioning system repair, compare the costs of the repair to the costs of a new device. If the cost of repair will cover a significant portion of the cost of a new device, and particularly if your air conditioner is exhibiting any of the other signs mentioned above, it would almost certainly be more cost-effective to replace it.
- High Energy Bills – If your electricity costs have been skyrocketing recently, it may be due to a cooling system that is simply working too hard to keep up with demand. Even if the house isn’t properly cooled, the air conditioner can be significantly increasing your monthly energy bills. If you invest in new appliances, you’ll be able to save money for years to come.
- You’re hearing strange noises that you’ve never heard before – Have you heard a loud grinding noise coming from your air conditioner? What about rattling, crashing, squealing, and other sounds that don’t seem quite right? Switch off the air conditioner and call a professional as soon as possible. These noises frequently indicate a serious problem – such as a slipping belt or damaged motor bearings – that, if not fixed promptly, may result in a more expensive repair or the need for replacement.
Do You Need an HVAC Installer You Can Trust?
Superior Mechanical Services, Inc. began in 1948 as a family-owned business with a vision to provide value-minded service with a down-to-earth approach to customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. As the premier Commercial and Residential HVAC Service provider for Livermore, Dublin, and Pleasanton, Superior Mechanical can do it all, from heating and air conditioning services to boiler services, to plumbing services. Our technicians are certified professionals who will ensure every part of your project is done right using a careful checklist to guide and test each step. At the end of your appointment, we’ll show you how to get the most out of your new system and give you tips on maintenance so it lasts for years to come. Contact us today for amazing service tomorrow!