When it comes to HVAC system maintenance, air ducts are usually the last thing on a homeowner’s mind. Air ducts are an essential part of your home’s ventilation system; without them, your HVAC machine wouldn’t be able to transport air from room to room.
Your air ducts, though often overlooked (due to their normally concealed location), need attention, maintenance, repairs, and even replacement from time to time. But how do you know when they need to be replaced? After all, you don’t really see them that much.
Some of the most common signs you should replace your ductwork are:
- Old Ductwork – Most ductwork in homes lasts between 10 and 15 years before it needs to be replaced. If your ducts are more than 15 years old, get them replaced until you run into big problems like rodents, holes, or even collapsed parts. You will avoid drafts and stuffy areas this way, ensuring that your whole home is comfortable.
- Uneven Heating or Cooling – In contrast to the rest of the building, homeowners can discover that one or more rooms are poorly heated or cooled. This can be caused by defective ductwork that does not disperse enough air in your house. Using an indoor thermometer, you can easily confirm this. If the temperature fluctuations are obviously out of the ordinary, you can check your ducts right away. This problem may be caused by major leaks in a conduit. These leaks would allow air to escape, preventing it from warming or cooling a specific area of your space.
- Increased Utility Bills – If your utility costs continue to rise, it’s possible that you’re wasting energy due to ductwork leaks. A blower door test can be performed by an HVAC specialist to identify any issues. You can get the ductwork sealed to save energy if the leaks are small enough. Otherwise, you should have it replaced to keep your electricity bills low.
- Poor Airflow – Airflow is a critical component of a well-functioning HVAC system, and your ductwork, believe it or not, plays a major role in efficiently cooling your living spaces. When your ductwork is damaged, old, dirty, or clogged in some way, it can lead to high energy bills and discomfort in your home. It could be time for a replacement if you find your HVAC system’s airflow dwindling or straining.
- Noisy HVAC Operation – While your HVAC system is designed to create noise while operating, the volume should not be excessive. If you hear rattling noises or if your HVAC ductwork vibrates excessively when heating or cooling your home, you can check the ducts. Keep in mind that your ducts are bound with plastic or fiberglass joints. You’ll also hear rattling or whistling sounds if these joints are harmed.
- Having A Dusty Home – Dust is almost difficult to scrub. It can be found both inside and outside of houses. However, if you notice that there is just too much dust in your home, it may be due to a problem with your ductwork.
Do You Need an HVAC Installer You Can Trust?
Superior Mechanical Services, Inc. began in 1948 as a family-owned business with a vision to provide value-minded service with a down-to-earth approach to customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. As the premier Commercial and Residential HVAC Service provider for Livermore, Dublin, and Pleasanton, Superior Mechanical can do it all, from heating and air conditioning services to boiler services, to plumbing services. Our technicians are certified professionals who will ensure every part of your project is done right using a careful checklist to guide and test each step. At the end of your appointment, we’ll show you how to get the most out of your new system and give you tips on maintenance so it lasts for years to come. Contact us today for amazing service tomorrow!