How To Restart My AC
Your AC has been working hard all summer long, keeping you cool and comfortable. But now it’s time for a break – a long one. Before you turn off your AC for the season, make sure you know how to restart it properly. In this blog post, we will walk you through the steps to restarting your AC unit safely and correctly. Let’s get started!
1.Using the thermostat, turn off your home’s central air conditioning system. You do not want it to contact your air conditioning unit for cooling until after you have completed turning it back on again.
2. Search for the breaker box. Look for either a metal panel or a metal box placed flush against a wall. Sometimes it’s painted to blend in with your home, but usually, it’s a plain metallic color. It can be found in any of these areas:
- Laundry room
- Crawl spaces
- The exterior part of your home
3. Turn off the circuit breaker that controls your air conditioner. Look around for the breaker switch that controls the power to your heating and cooling system. Position the switch so that it reads “off.”
4. Before restarting the circuit breaker to the “on” position, wait at least one minute.
5. Wait at least one minute before restarting the circuit breaker to the “on” position.
6. Once the 30 minutes is complete, carefully put your thermostat back to “cool”. To actually be able to determine if everything is operating properly, make sure you set the thermostat to at least five degrees below the room’s present temperature.
It gets even easier if you have a restart button on your AC unit that’ll perform this entire process for you. To check if your system has this button, you’ll need to look for it on your outdoor unit.
Where Can I Find the Restart Button on My Air Conditioner?
If your AC unit has a reset button on the condenser unit, you simply press it and hope that the problem resolves. Look for it first around on the exterior of your machine, especially along the bottom edge near the ground. An AC’s restart button is typically red and visible, so it should be easy to spot.
If you don’t see a restart button on the outside, it could be located inside the unit behind the service panel. Before poking around inside the machinery, be sure to cut power to the system by flipping off your circuit breaker.
If You Don’t Have a Restart Button on Your Outdoor Unit
If your AC unit does not have a restart button, follow these steps to restart it manually:
- Shut off the power to the condenser, which is typically located in a shutoff panel next to the unit.
- Once you’ve completed this task, shut off the breaker in your circuit breaker box, this will kill the power to the unit.
- Unplug the unit from the power supply board and disconnect the system. This ensures that the Air Conditioning unit is receiving no power whatsoever.
- To be safe, unplug and disconnect the power supply from your Air Conditioning unit. This will help ensure that there are no more volts being sent through those wires when you’re working on it!.
- Make sure your thermostat is set to “cool.” Then, in order, switch the breaker back on, then the external power supply.If the unit still isn’t working as it should, you may have an issue with your power supply, or your filter may be dirty.
So, you’ve tried all of the above and your Air Condition still isn’t working. The best option at this point is to call a professional. They will have the tools and knowledge necessary to diagnose and fix the problem with your AC. Don’t try to tackle it yourself – that could lead to even more problems. Hopefully, our guide has helped you troubleshoot your AC issue and get it up and running again.
Do You Need an HVAC Installer You Can Trust?
Superior Mechanical Services, Inc. began in 1948 as a family-owned business with a vision to provide value-minded service with a down-to-earth approach to customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. As the premier Commercial and Residential HVAC Service provider for Livermore, Dublin, and Pleasanton, Superior Mechanical can do it all, from heating and air conditioning services to boiler services, to plumbing services. Our technicians are certified professionals who will ensure every part of your project is done right using a careful checklist to guide and test each step. At the end of your appointment, we’ll show you how to get the most out of your new system and give you tips on maintenance so it lasts for years to come. Contact us today for amazing service tomorrow!