Ductless mini split systems are a great way to keep your space cool without having the inconvenience of ducts. They have a number of benefits, but there are also some potential drawbacks that you should be aware of before installing one in your home or office. These pros and cons will help you decide whether this type of system is right for you. Let’s take a look at what they are!
Pros Of Ductless Mini Split AC System
- They tend to be easier (and cheaper) to install than traditional systems, which can make them attractive options for those who don’t want the hassle or expense of an annual installation by professionals
- You can save on energy costs, as they are more efficient than central air conditioning systems.
- They are an excellent option for people who live in apartments or condos and can’t do any exterior modifications to their homes, as long as they don’t mind the higher installation costs.
- The system is also ideal if you want a quick way to change your temperature without having to wait for someone else (such as your landlord) to make adjustments on their end first.
- The air conditioning unit is more efficient because it’s not using as much energy to cool the entire house at once, so while you will likely experience higher electric bills in general with a ductless system relative to a traditional HVAC system—even when running on “COOL” only and no heat at all—”you’ll spend less time waiting for your home to cool down.”
- Ductless mini splits are less expensive than regular split systems which makes them more attractive from a price perspective too!
Cons Of Ductless Mini Split AC System
- The downside of this type of system is that it doesn’t provide as much comfort and cooling on the hotter days, which can be a problem. And since they don’t have ducts, you won’t get any extra heating if your home’s temperature dips below 60 degrees Fahrenheit.
- They cost more to install, which means that you’ll need a higher spending budget for your project overall.
- A major disadvantage is that it costs significantly more than traditional HVAC systems to buy or maintain them over time–in part due to their high use of electricity when running 24/365.
- They also require more space to install than standard units because there are two outdoor condensing units in addition to one indoor unit (a bit like window air conditioners).
- They’re not the best solution for rooms with low ceilings or an awkwardly shaped layout.
- Another downside is that when you need to repair them, the ductless units must be removed from the wall.
- Since the system needs an outdoor condenser unit and compressor station with its own electricity source, it’s not ideal for renters or people living in condos where landlords forbid exterior modifications to their homes or property. Of course, this will vary depending on what individual requirements your landlord has outlined so be sure to check before committing!
The final consideration here isn’t about the pros and cons of this kind of HVAC system. Rather, it’s more general advice for those who are looking at installing a new unit in their home: Unless your house runs on natural gas or propane heat with an existing thermostat-controlled furnace (i.e., unless you’re already using either a hot water radiator heating system OR central forced air), do NOT buy any type of variable speed AC system! The last thing you want is for your indoor temperature to fluctuate constantly as if someone were coming up behind you every ten minutes messing with vents so they can hit the ideal temperature every time.
Considering Installing a Ductless Mini Split AC System in Your Home or Office?
Superior Mechanical Services, Inc. began in 1948 as a family-owned business with a vision to provide value-minded service with a down-to-earth approach to customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. As the premier Commercial and Residential HVAC Service provider for Livermore, Dublin, and Pleasanton, Superior Mechanical can do it all, from heating and air conditioning services (including Minisplit AC Systems!) to boiler services, to plumbing services. Ductless systems offer instant cooling on demand and even temperature control for each room as you use it. Whether you are already an owner of a ductless system looking for tune-up, maintenance, and repair help or you’re considering ductless systems Superior Mechanical Services can help. With more than 6 decades of experience helping residential and commercial customers in Livermore, our reputation speaks for itself, and you’ll love the results. Contact us today for amazing service tomorrow!